guix-devel

Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ‘%desktop-services’?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ‘%desktop-services’?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 00:10:34 -0400

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I've been using Network Manager with GNOME for several months at least,
>> and generally I find it works very well, and reconnects much more
>> quickly than wicd.
>
> Good.
>
>> However, there is one annoying bug: every time I reboot the system, the
>> first 1-3 times it connects to the network, name lookups do not work.  I
>> always have to manually ask Network Manager to disconnect, and then
>> reconnect.  Sometimes I have to do this two or three times before name
>> lookups work.  After I've done this, it works perfectly until the next
>> reboot.
>>
>> I looked into this a bit, but haven't yet found the cause.  When name
>> lookups are failing, /etc/resolv.conf exists and is correctly
>> configured.  I've tried restarting 'nscd', but it doesn't help.
>
> Weird.  (I’ve installed GuixSD/GNOME/NM on a laptop that’s almost always
> on a wired network and it doesn’t have this problem AFAIK.)
>
> Could you enable nscd debugging output, so we can at least see whether
> the problem is due to nscd caching name lookup failures?  Something
> like:
>
>        (modify-services %desktop-services
>          (nscd-service-type config
>                             => (nscd-configuration
>                                 (inherit config)
>                                 (debug-level 3)
>                                 (log-file "/var/log/nscd.log"))))

I've since migrated my x86_64 GuixSD system to building everything
locally, using a local branch that's almost the same as 'core-updates'
except with 'expat' and 'pcre' ungrafted.  Since then, I've been unable
to reproduce the problem I described above.

However, I've run into a different problem.  Several times, after
reconnecting to the network, I've found that IceCat is unable to access
the network (or possibly just DNS), even when the everything works from
the command line.  Restarting IceCat solves the problem.

It's possible that waiting long enough would also work, but so far I
haven't been patient enough to try it.

Possibly related: the glibc-2.26 release announcement mentions the
following new feature:

  * Improvements to the DNS stub resolver, contributed by Florian Weimer:

    - The GNU C Library will now detect when /etc/resolv.conf has been
      modified and reload the changed configuration.  The new resolver
      option “no-reload” (RES_NORELOAD) disables this behavior.

       Mark