guix-devel

Re: openssl is now a dependency of guix: possible license conflict?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: openssl is now a dependency of guix: possible license conflict?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:29:57 -0400

Hi Alex,

Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:

> Recently, guix changes to use guile-git for 'guix pull', which is a
> libgit2 binding for guile, while libgit2 itself uses openssl to talk
> over https.
>
> Now the potential problem is that guix is licensed in gpl3+ while
> openssl is licensed in openssl. It is well-known the two licenses have
> incompatibility disallowing one from distributing the result of linking
> a gpl program with openssl[0].

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I looked into this, and it
turns out that Debian's libgit2 package no longer depends on OpenSSL:

libgit2 can use libcurl for HTTPS support, in which case it does not
need OpenSSL.  Our libcurl already uses GnuTLS instead of OpenSSL.  So,
I expect this issue can be easily resolved.  I'll work on it.

     Thanks,
       Mark