guix-devel

Re: Question about guix system disk-image

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Question about guix system disk-image
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:09:20 +0200

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

[…]
> So I think I still don't understand the full PATH perspective/view.
[…]
> My theory is to just add the PATH (to be changed) to PATH.

Do you really mean “PATH” or something else?  “PATH” is only used by the
shell to find the full path to executables when only their names are
given.  This is unrelated to how Guile finds modules.  And that, too, is
unrelated to how “guix system disk-image” works.

> What I'm trying to understand is how I could reduce
> guix system disk-image
> ~/src/infotropique/infotropique/infotropique/system/install-core.scm
> to just a single infotropique/system/install-core.scm.

“guix system disk-image” takes a (relative or absolute) path to a file.
It then evaluates “(load* the-file-path)”.  If the current working
directory is equal to the directory containing the file then all a user
needs to provide is the basename.  A user can also provide an absolute
path or a relative path (starting from the current work directory).

What matters is only that “load*” gets a file name as an argument.  It
turns the file name into an absolute name and then simply “load”s it.

This bypasses GUILE_LOAD_PATH.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net