guix-devel

Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:18:59 +0200

Hello,

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> By hosting source packages on IPFS they become content addressable and
> should scale for downloads. It would also become a safe way of
> distributing data.
>
> https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs

I would love such a thing to happen (that’s also why we had a GSoC on
using GNUnet’s file sharing capabilities a while back.)

The simplest thing to get started, as you wrote, would be to have an
HTTPS gateway to IPFS (which ‘guix substitute’ could readily talk to
without any modification), though one would still need to populate IPFS
in the first place.

Ludo’.