guix-devel

Re: savannah request for inclusion?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: savannah request for inclusion?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:49:51 +0200

Hello ng0!

Sorry for the long delay, I’m still on post-vacation email catch-up.

ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

> a rather long time ago we had a chat on wether I should
> get group member privileges at savannah. Back then it
> was rejected because "the quality of my contributions
> should still improve" or what it was.
>
> I've sent another request about 2 weeks ago, now I
> wanted to ask what the groups opinion about this.

The process for commit rights is that current committers invite someone
who they think can readily work on the repo according to our conventions
and following the rules written in ‘HACKING’.  Only a subset of the
contributors are committers, but that’s OK: Git makes it easy to
contribute anyway, and not every contributor wants to have some sort of
long-term commitment with the project.

Over time you have made lots of valuable contributions to the project in
terms of patches, bug reports, etc.  I have reviewed many of your
patches and I find that I still often have a lot of work to do for
various reasons (duplicate package, license check not done and package
turned out to be non-free, lint issues, incomplete submissions).  That’s
why I did not offer you commit rights so far.  We can discuss it in more
detail if you want, possibly off-list.

I’d like to stress that I appreciate your contributions and that I
consider you a member of the group in the human sense of membership.

Cheers,
Ludo’.