guix-devel

Re: The future of 'guix environment'

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: The future of 'guix environment'
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 17:56:34 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:11:33PM +0800, 宋文武 wrote:
> I definitely want this feature too, so how about rename the current
> implementation of 'environment' to 'guix shell', whose ad hoc behaviour
> is similar to the 'nix-shell', and start a new implementation with this
> persistent behaviour?

I think we should not have too many commands to Guix, especially not with
similar behaviour, since this will make the tool too confusing. How about
adding command line options?

For instance:
1) Do not cache by default, cache when "--cache" is given.
2) Maybe even better, use "--cache=XXX" to cache under the name or number XXX.
3) Then later, add "--resume" or "--resume=XXX".

Or do something similar to "git stash", piling up environments on a stack
and popping or dropping them.

Andreas