guix-devel

News from the GNU Hackers Meeting

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: News from the GNU Hackers Meeting
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 00:05:42 +0200

Hello Guix!

I don’t think this was discussed yet, but we had a good time last
week-end at the GHM!  It was pretty much a retreat at the countryside,
which was fun and pleasant.  There was a bunch of Guix hackers, and
around 30 people in total.

With help from Ricardo, I gave a high-level talk on what we did over the
last year or so and what it’ll take to get to 1.0 (slides at
<https://gnu.org/s/guix/guix-ghm-update-20170825.pdf>).

Alex Sassmannshausen took on the challenge to talk about the potluck,
which led to interesting debates on how to make Guix accessible to a
wider audience, and on channels and springs (really :-)).

Ricardo gave a talk about bootstrapping, his heroic efforts to make Java
and Haskell (the former was a success), and the just as heroic endeavor
of Jan, OriansJ, rain1, and others with Mes, Mescc, stage0, and friends.
There was consensus on the need to do something about these
bootstrapping problems, which is already encouraging!

Maybe Alex, Ricardo, and others can comment more.

Our next meeting point will be FOSDEM in February I guess.

Until then, happy hacking!

Ludo’.