guix-devel

Re: Guix - installation script

From: Hellseher
Subject: Re: Guix - installation script
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 19:11:58 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for delayed replay, it's busy time at work/home.

I'll check and fix it as soon as possibly, but you always can pull request it on a GitHub.

You also mentioned to send it to address@hidden, which format do you prefer?

Regards,

HS

On 02/09/17 17:04, Christopher Baines wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 23:36:17 +0100
Christopher Baines <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 21:51:12 +0100
Hellseher <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

That's great, thank you!

I'll go through all suggestions and make required changes as soon
as possible.

Do you want to move that script to separate stand along repository
to make it easy for other to review it?
What might work well is for you to send the whole script to guix-devel
in an email. Then people can read through and review it.

I'll try to make some time to review and test this in the coming week.
I've tried running this in a Debian VM, and I've nearly managed to get
Guix installed.

 From my experience, I've got some suggestions for the script.

Firstly, I see this as installing GNU Guix, not GuixSD, as I understand
GuixSD to be an operating system, and this script won't install an OS,
just Guix within your existing operating system.

For the ascii art, I tweaked it by removing the SD, and adding some
separation between the i and x to make it more readable.
    _____ _   _ _    _     _____       _
   / ____| \ | | |  | |   / ____|     (_)
  | |  __|  \| | |  | |  | |  __ _   _ _ __  __
  | | |_ | . ` | |  | |  | | |_ | | | | |\ \/ /
  | |__| | |\  | |__| |  | |__| | |_| | | >  <
   \_____|_| \_|\____/    \_____|\__,_|_|/_/\_\

Just requiring one of curl and wget would be good, either by removing
the need to use curl (it wasn't on the Debian system I was testing
with), or making it possible to use either would work.

I think the requirement on which could be removed by using the bash
builtin type.

Also, for checking dependencies, currently when it fails, the entire
script stops as command exits with a status of 1. Something like this
would work though:

        if ! command -v "$c" &>/dev/null; then
            warn+=("$c")
        fi

I think running guix package -i at the end might be a bit too much.
Maybe it would be better to suggest running a less permanent command,
e.g. guix environment --ad-hoc hello -- hello, and directing them to
IRC or the mailing list if they have problems?

Thanks again for writing this :)