guix-devel

Re: My experiences with GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: My experiences with GuixSD
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:04:09 +0200

Hello!

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Jonathan Brielmaier
> <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

>> 1. I had a hard time during installation on the "live-system" to figure
>> out how to do the GRUB setup the right way. The error was quite simple:
>> I only have to write "target /dev/sda" instead of "target /dev/sda1".
>>
>> => Beside I'm not very experienced with setting up GRUB, something like
>> "guix lint" for the system config would be nice :)
>
> I agree. Something that would detect that you are trying to install
> GRUB to a partition instead of the disk itself would be nice.

Right, I agree.

At the GHM there were also discussions about detecting other issues at
‘init’ time, such as the use of wrong UUIDs or file system labels.  We
actually already have everything we need to check whether there really
is a file system with the given UUID/label, so it wouldn’t be hard to
add.  Yet, it would make a big difference since that’s apparently a
common mistake.

> Thanks for the feedback.  Sorry that GuixSD doesn't work for you.  I
> would say that the GPU and IceCat things are "won't fix" (these aren't
> GuixSD problems, nor really problems at all, they are facts of life
> for running a system that fully respects your freedom), and the GRUB
> and font thing could definitely be improved with some effort.

Agreed.

I wonder what happened with the font issue.  Jonathan, if you could
reproduce the issue in ‘guix system vm’ (you can do that on your foreign
distro), that would allow us to investigate.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.