guix-devel

Re: My experiences with GuixSD

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: My experiences with GuixSD
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 19:33:55 -0400

Jonathan Brielmaier <address@hidden> writes:

> 4. Icecat... I had to restart it like every five minutes because it
> doesn't show websites. Yes, I disabled all those add-ons (LibreJS etc.).
> It was not usable for me, really not.

Could you elaborate more precisely on how IceCat misbehaved?  I've been
using IceCat as my primary web browser for a couple of years now, and
have found it to work very well.  I've not heard other GuixSD users
reporting problems like this.

> And without all those FOSS add-ons on addons.mozilla.org
> Icecat/Firefox is bad.

It is true that addons.mozilla.org is not the default site that is
visited from within the "Get Add-ons" portion of the built-in
"about:addons" page.  However, as far as I know, you should be able to
manually visit addons.mozilla.org and install the add-ons there.  Did
you try that?

> => Could we not just have a Firefox ESR version without DRM, Pocket and
> the other closed-source stuff, but _with_ the ability to install add-ons
> and stability?

This is exactly what IceCat is meant to be, and what I've found it to
be.  I'm not sure why it worked so poorly for you.

> After lots of hours (10-20h) investing in the setup of GuixSD I decided
> to install Ubuntu as the system was not "usable" for me :(

Okay.  I'm sorry that the system worked so poorly for you, and I very
much appreciate you taking the time to tell us of your experience.

    Regards,
      Mark