guix-devel

Re: Adopt a patch!

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Adopt a patch!
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 06:52:04 +0530

Would it help to have teams of maintainers for specific packages or a
specific category of packages? Perhaps something like Debian has? Right
now, anyone can review any package. But, no one is "responsible" for any
package, and this feels a little chaotic.

Also, should we accept any package into Guix (provided it is free
software, of course)? Or, should we pick and choose, packaging only
sufficiently mature software? What about unmaintained packages? Debian's
policy is to remove unmaintained packages. What is ours? Perhaps we need
some kind of package popularity contest like Debian has.

These questions are bothering me, because I feel we don't have
sufficient labour power to handle the enormous number of packages out
there. I've been meaning to raise these questions at some point. Though
these questions are somewhat tangential to this thread, I thought it
might be ok to raise them here.