guix-devel

Re: Adopt a patch!

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Adopt a patch!
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 06:11:56 +0000

Pjotr Prins transcribed 1.4K bytes:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 07:52:32PM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote:
> > Just thinking out loud: Maybe, we need more people with commit
> > access. Theoretically, anyone can review a patch, but ultimately it is
> > people with commit access who will have to finally apply and push the
> > patch. As the rate of submission of patches grows, this increases the
> > work load on those with commit access.
>
> Yes. We do need to think of scaling up even if it is not perceived a
> direct problem now. The faster the turn around, the better it is for
> submitters and therefore the project.
>
> I think if we agreed that NO one can push their own commits directly
> into master/gnu/packages and expand the number of committers greatly
> (anyone who has successfully submitted a non-trivial package without
> real comment) we can ask more people to look over the patch list. It
> ain't that hard. And if someone misbehaves just revert on commit
> access.
>
> Some people may turn out to be very active when they get the chance.
>
> Take a look at C4.1. Another Guix hacker pointed me to it about a year
> ago. There are some solid ideas here:
>
> http://hintjens.com/blog:93
>
> I agree with Hintjens (who was btw one of the original FOSDEM
> organizers) that the more dynamic a project becomes the more
> contributions it will attract.
>
> Keep experimenting - we can always revert on ideas. That is my motto.
>
> Pj.
>
> PS debbugs was a great step forward already.

Personally among other ideas I already follow,
I like the approach the Linux project has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ9Y0midtW4&feature=youtu.be
http://blog.ffwll.ch/2017/01/maintainers-dont-scale.html
http://blog.ffwll.ch/slides/lca-2017.pdf
https://www.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/57/

There's also some interesting links in there aswell.

There are some more recent post of this maintainer
at http://blog.ffwll.ch/
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588