guix-devel

Re: Adopt a patch!

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Adopt a patch!
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:07:40 +0530

Pjotr Prins writes:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 07:52:32PM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote:
>> Just thinking out loud: Maybe, we need more people with commit
>> access. Theoretically, anyone can review a patch, but ultimately it is
>> people with commit access who will have to finally apply and push the
>> patch. As the rate of submission of patches grows, this increases the
>> work load on those with commit access.
>
> Yes. We do need to think of scaling up even if it is not perceived a
> direct problem now. The faster the turn around, the better it is for
> submitters and therefore the project.
>
> I think if we agreed that NO one can push their own commits directly
> into master/gnu/packages and expand the number of committers greatly
> (anyone who has successfully submitted a non-trivial package without
> real comment) we can ask more people to look over the patch list. It
> ain't that hard. And if someone misbehaves just revert on commit
> access.
>
> Some people may turn out to be very active when they get the chance.
>
> Take a look at C4.1. Another Guix hacker pointed me to it about a year
> ago. There are some solid ideas here:
>
> http://hintjens.com/blog:93

I have not come across C4.1 before, and it seems very interesting. At
the very least, we should try out something similar.

> I agree with Hintjens (who was btw one of the original FOSDEM
> organizers) that the more dynamic a project becomes the more
> contributions it will attract.
>
> Keep experimenting - we can always revert on ideas. That is my motto.

I agree.

> PS debbugs was a great step forward already.

debbugs is probably better than having a single mailing list, but as
Hartmut Goebel mentioned it is far from ideal. We really need gitea,
gitlab or something similar.

The number of things that need to be done manually in our current
workflow is quite painful. It's ok if it was only once in a while, but
having to do it everyday makes it really difficult.