guix-devel

Re: Adopt a patch!

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Adopt a patch!
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 22:31:29 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> It is not only the work load, but also the work-flow […] This means
>>> switching forth and back between mail, shell, and browser.
>> […]
>>> Compare it with an integrated workflow on e.g. Gitlab or github […]
>>
>> How does even more reliance on a browser help here?  Surely, we can
>> automate more things without imposing a web browser-based workflow to
>> everyone.
>
> +1. I don think the glossy interfaces of Github & co. add much to the
> table in terms of automation. If you want to test the software, you
> still have to checkout a local copy of it anyway (i.e., leave the
> browser).

FWIW, I didn’t mean to claim that there are no problems with the
email-based workflow.  I just think that we should improve upon it with
deliberation instead of jumping to the conclusion that Gitlab or Github
would be better.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net