guix-devel

Re: Adding a network interface

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Adding a network interface
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:02:12 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your reply!

> This works for me.  I have configured berlin.guixsd.org with two network
> interfaces by simply providing static-networking-service twice.  I’m not
> removing any services from %base-services:
>
>   (services (cons* …
>              (static-networking-service "enp6s4f0"
>                                         "141.80.181.40"
>                                         #:netmask "255.255.255.0"
>                                         #:gateway "141.80.181.1")

OK, so my first try was right but my interpretation of the error message
wasn't. After some further exploration, the already-running network
service is indeed not the statically configured loopback, but
(dhcp-client-service), which handles all network adapters other than
loopback.

Configuring both of my adapters with static IPs works very well, but
is not practical for a laptop used in different networks. Back to
rethinking my deployment strategy...

Konrad.