guix-devel

Re: Inconsistency between "guix system" and "guix package"

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Inconsistency between "guix system" and "guix package"
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 20:13:31 +0300

Hello Hartmut,

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just stepped into problems listing the generations of "system". Then I
> found out:
>
> "guix system" uses sub-commands
>
>     guix system list-generations
>     guix system roll-back
>     guix system switch-generation
>

> Contrary to this "guix package" uses options:
>
>     guix package --list-generations
>     guix package --switch-generation
>     guix package --roll-back
>     guix package --delete-generations

As I understand you mean ‘--’.  I guess it's required, because with
‘system’ you could do additional ACTIONS as ‘guix system --help’ says.
ACTIONS includes more OPTIONS.  It will be a mess to include all not
related OPTIONS from ACTIONS (really long ‘--help’).

> Please also note there is no "guix system delete-generations"!

Yes, as I remember there is no command to clean up system generations.
At least I didn't find one.  So I wrote a script to remove system
generations older than 14 days (second line) and remove guile packages
older than 2 weeks (third line).

#!/bin/sh
exec find /var/guix/profiles/* -maxdepth 0 -mtime +14 -not -name per-user -exec
sudo unlink {} \;
exec guix package --delete-generations=2w

> This difference is confusing. Should I report this as a bug?

Probably no, because it's not a bug.  Just a discussion about
improvement, which guix-devel mailing list is enough.