guix-devel

Re: Inconsistency between "guix system" and "guix package"

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Inconsistency between "guix system" and "guix package"
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 23:04:08 +0300

Hartmut Goebel (2017-09-22 14:13 +0200) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just stepped into problems listing the generations of "system". Then I
> found out:
>
> "guix system" uses sub-commands
>
>     guix system list-generations
>     guix system roll-back
>     guix system switch-generation
>
> Contrary to this "guix package" uses options:
>
>     guix package --list-generations
>     guix package --switch-generation
>     guix package --roll-back
>     guix package --delete-generations
>
> Please also note there is no "guix system delete-generations"!
>
> This difference is confusing. Should I report this as a bug?

I think it's not a bug, just some inconsistency that was accumulated
with time.  I also asked about it 2 years ago:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-10/msg00960.html

My understanding is that people would agree on unified actions/options
for "package" and "system" commands.  The problem is that no one has
worked in this direction :-)

--
Alex