guix-devel

Re: Scope of support for Guix on other distros

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Scope of support for Guix on other distros
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 14:01:12 -0400

Hi,

David Seaward <address@hidden> writes:

> To what extent is support for other distros a priority for the Guix
> project? In other words, explicitly planning to make Guix available as
> an alternate installation source on non-Guix-SD distros.
>
> The reason I ask is that cross-distro installers are increasingly
> popular (for example, Flatpak and Snappy) but none of them (currently)
> provide a central repository that is guaranteed free.

"Guarantee" is a stronger word than could be applied to Guix.  We are
fortunate to have a large number of volunteers adding packages, but we
don't have the resources to check all of their work.

What we can say is that if software freedom issues in Guix are brought
to our attention (more precisely: non-compliance with the GNU FSDG [1]),
we will make it a high priority to fix those issues ASAP.

      Mark

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html