guix-devel

Re: Release!

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Release!
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 20:18:53 +0100

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 17:12:36 +0200
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> In the meantime, it would be great if people could run an installation
> from an ISO image and report bugs and glitches:
>

> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-the-Installation-Image.html
>
> Thoughts?

Unfortunately, building the ISO image has broken since I was
successfully using it [1].

One other issue I was thinking of recently was the size of the image. I
checked an ISO of the installation system I generated a while ago, and
it's 1.1GB in size. A actual CD can only hold 0.7GB of data. This might
be something that just needs documenting, saying that this is for a
DVD, and not a CD, or, it the size could be reduced so that it fits on
a CD.

When I build the installation system, and run guix size, it says 1031.0
MiB, so I guess looking at the breakdown there and trying to reduce it
would be a way to start, if this is a worthwhile objective.

I don't have any use for a physical CD installation image, so if anyone
is interested in having this, now is the time to say so?

1: guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9660
gnu/system/install.scm

error: changing mode of
`/tmp/root//gnu/store/jjna4ivyidxfq40mq78g97yzg0wfzcqy-shadow-4.5/bin/su'
to 100555: Operation not permitted ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
ERROR: failed to register store items "/xchg/system"