guix-devel

Re: Guix on macOS

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Guix on macOS
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:09:33 +0100

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:29:57 -0700
Chris Marusich <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I want to get Guix working on macOS.  I recently had a need to do
> this, and I was sad to find that although Nix works on macOS, Guix
> isn't quite there yet.  The manual makes it sound like this should be
> fairly straightforward, and I intend to give it a shot [1].  But
> before I begin, I wanted to know: has anyone done this already?  Is
> there interest?  I've checked the email lists, and I didn't find much
> discussion about this.

Hey Chris,

I'm interested! My workplace hands out laptops running MacOS, and while
I don't use one, and most people using them do development in a Ubuntu
VM, I'd love to have the option to help my colleagues use Guix on their
machines.

> I know a lot of developers who use macOS as their primary workstation,
> and most of them use a combination of Homebrew [2] and manual
> installation for package management.  It'd be great if Guix were easy
> to use on macOS!  Not only is it the best package manager (of
> course! :-)), but it would be a great way to encourage the use and
> growth of free software among this group of people.
>
> Additionally, if you're interested in helping out, please let me know.
> To facilitate the work, I'm temporarily renting a Mac from MacStadium
> [3] (it's just a weak little Mac Mini [4] for now), and it would be
> trivial to give interested parties administrative access (via VNC and
> SSH) to facilitate the work.

I'd be interested in helping out, but I have never seriously used
MacOS, so this would be quite a learning curve.

Thanks,

Chris