guix-devel

Re: Guix on macOS

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Guix on macOS
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 16:08:13 +0200

On 13/10/2017 14:55, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

At the same time, one could hope that, if freedom is not enough, the
nifty features of GuixSD, GNOME, the GNU toolchain, etc. would be enough
of an incentive to switch.  But hey, it’s complicated!

There are those nasty real-world constraints, indeed. I'd be happy to run 100% free software on personal hardware. But my employer restricts the hardware I am allowed to buy and requires me to use Microsoft Windows (no, LibreOffice won't do). That makes macOS an attractive choice, the alternative being a Windows/Linux dual boot system.

A "free software subsystem" inside macOS is definitely attractive for me, because I could then run strictly the same software as my Linux-using colleagues. With the features of Guix, it would be even better.

Konrad.