guix-devel

Re: Our package names should not include "github-com"

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Our package names should not include "github-com"
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:41:53 +0000

Mark H Weaver transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> Hi Leo,
>
> address@hidden (Leo Famulari) writes:
>
> > lfam pushed a commit to branch master
> > in repository guix.
> >
> > commit 478ebb31a96955fc03fcea55a4432976ddb49319
> > Author: Leo Famulari <address@hidden>
> > Date:   Wed Oct 11 20:22:32 2017 -0400
> >
> >     gnu: Add go-github-com-templexxx-reedsolomon.
>
> On this, and a great many other packages, you've included "github-com-"
> in the package names.  I think this is a very bad idea.  For one thing,
> we should not advertise, promote, or enhance the lock-in of GitHub, and
> this policy does all three.  Sometimes a maintainer decides to change
> their hosting arrangements.  When they do so, we should simply be able
> to update some URLs in one package definition.  We should not have to do
> a global find/replace on the package name and alert our users to update
> their profiles and OS definitions.  That contributes to lock-in.
>
> What do you think?
>
>       Mark

I think Leo just followed the upstream conventions here, where it is
named after the path the go module ends in.
If we decide not to name the package like this, we might break expectations.
So when we break expectations, what are the alternative naming schemes
we could pick for go packages that'll still make sense to people
using Go?
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588