guix-devel

Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:21:25 +0200

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone else has had the problem I describe below and knows a solution.

I am running GuixSD in a virtual machine on a laptop that I use in different network environments. One of them requires the use of a HTTP proxy, direct accesses being blocked. As a consequence, the Guix build daemon fails when downloading anything.

After reading the manual, I come to the conclusion that the only way to change the HTTP proxy settings for the build daemon is via (guix-configuration ...), which requires to do "guix system reconfigure". Unfortunately that command fails because it tries to download stuff (no idea why, BTW, I didn't do a "guix pull" since I last used it) and fails. It looks like I'd have to reconfigure while I am still in a working network environment, meaning I'd have to anticipate switching networks, which I can't.

More generally, it would be nice to have to be able to change network settings without reconfiguring and rebooting. But at first, I'd be happy if I could get my system to work at all.

Any ideas?

Konrad.