guix-devel

Re: Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:41:08 -0700

Hello!

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am running GuixSD in a virtual machine on a laptop that I use in
> different network environments. One of them requires the use of a HTTP
> proxy, direct accesses being blocked. As a consequence, the Guix build
> daemon fails when downloading anything.
>
> After reading the manual, I come to the conclusion that the only way
> to change the HTTP proxy settings for the build daemon is via
> (guix-configuration ...), which requires to do "guix system
> reconfigure".
> Unfortunately that command fails because it tries to download stuff
> (no idea why, BTW, I didn't do a "guix pull" since I last used it) and
> fails. It looks like I'd have to reconfigure while I am still in a
> working network environment, meaning I'd have to anticipate switching
> networks, which I can't.

Not that it helps you much, but there’s an open bug on this topic:
<https://bugs.gnu.org/25569>.

> More generally, it would be nice to have to be able to change network
> settings without reconfiguring and rebooting. But at first, I'd be
> happy if I could get my system to work at all.

I agree.

A quick workaround would be to do something along these lines:

  # herd stop guix-daemon
  # http_proxy=… guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
  # guix system reconfigure config.scm

where config.scm has the relevant proxy configuration of in
‘guix-configuration’.

Would that work for you?

HTH,
Ludo’.