guix-devel

Re: Tiny Guix (and containers)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Tiny Guix (and containers)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:48:21 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Now it takes forever to set up the image
>>
>> Have you tried disabling compression?  This could be a lot faster.  I
>> found that tar with gzip compression is terribly slow to copy things
>> from the store into a compressed tar archive.  Disabling compression
>> speeds this up considerably, even though it is still rather slow.
>
> That will help :). But I was talking about Docker images. Making them
> small would be helpful for a lot of people out there. It takes forever
> to download and run Docker tests, for example, I hear people complain.

I know but there are two use cases here, no?  One is to build an image
repeatedly for Travis CI, the other is a “release” image.  For the CI
image one could disable compression to speed this up.

But clearly, that’s a tradeoff between the time it takes to download the
uncompressed blob and building a compressed blob.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net