guix-devel

Re: Disable gnulib's test-lock test in packages?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Disable gnulib's test-lock test in packages?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 16:39:57 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric Bavier <address@hidden> skribis:

> Several packages (libunistring, gettext, and libidn) in the guix bootstrap
> path hang on the "test-lock" test from gnulib while building on a aarch64
> system I have access to.  Some of them already have a patch applied that is
> supposed to fix the hang on system's with large core-counts, but it seems
> ineffective on my system.  The findutils package is also affected, and there
> may be others, but I haven't discovered them yet.
>
> This commit in gnulib fixes the test-lock issue on my system, but doesn't
> help until our packages update their gnulib source:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=be95b17ae933323cb757471f3d7c3f0617f9257e
>
> Not knowing any better, I created a dummy project to run the latest gnulib
> lock tests, attached for clarity.

So are you confident that the above commit fixes the issue?

As you might have seen, we already have
findutils-gnulib-multi-core.patch, gettext-gnulib-multi-core.patch, and
libunistring-gnulib-multi-core.patch, which turned out to be
insufficient to fix the problem.

> Until the updated lock module and tests make its way into these packages, I
> would like to ask if disabling these tests outright would be acceptable,
> similar to the attached patch.  Thoughts?

Your patch looks like the safest approach; you can also remove
*gnulib-multi-core.patch while you’re at it.  Then I think it’s OK for
‘core-updates’.

Thank you!

Ludo’.