guix-devel

Re: why is linux-libre-headers behind linux-libre?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: why is linux-libre-headers behind linux-libre?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:51:08 +0100

Hello,

Dave Love <address@hidden> skribis:

> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 02:00:35PM +0100, Vincent Legoll wrote:

>>> I suspect this is due to massive rebuilding that would occur when
>>> updating linux-libre-headers

That and also because glibc targets (can target) older kernels, which is
something we rely on.

>> This is typically updated in the core-updates branch, but it hasn't been
>> updated yet. Based on the LTS versions, we should upgrade it to the 4.9
>> branch.
>
> Thanks for the explanations.  I checked that 4.9 would support the
> Omnipath library, at least.

The Omnipath library relies on Linux (not libc) headers, and a specific
version thereof?

I suppose we could also introduce a more recent version of
‘linux-libre-headers’ specifically for this purpose, with the
understanding that the resulting binaries rely on a specific kernel
version.

Thanks,
Ludo’.