guix-devel

Re: The usability of Guix configurations

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: The usability of Guix configurations
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:52:19 +0100

Am 07.11.2017 um 12:05 schrieb julien lepiller:
> Since we encourage users to use use-package-modules etc, I think it's
> better
> to catch this error and explain it to users as soon as it happens.
> It's more
> friendly for users than a troubleshooting section in the manual.

+1
Thanks for proposing a patch so quickly!

> Package module "abc" does not exist.
> ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
> ERROR: check "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

For me this looks confusing: The actual error message is not prefixed by
"ERROR:". Also (nitpicking) the explanation could by a bit more verbose.
Like this:

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
ERROR: Package module "abc" does not exist.
ERROR: Please check the "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

It would even be better is the fist line would not refer to "procedure
scm-error", but to the config actually processed (and even the line in
there). But nevertheless this patch is a big improvement already.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |