guix-devel

Re: The usability of Guix configurations

From: julien lepiller
Subject: Re: The usability of Guix configurations
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:13:04 +0100

Le 2017-11-07 13:52, Hartmut Goebel a écrit :
Am 07.11.2017 um 12:05 schrieb julien lepiller:
Since we encourage users to use use-package-modules etc, I think it's
better
to catch this error and explain it to users as soon as it happens.
It's more
friendly for users than a troubleshooting section in the manual.

+1
Thanks for proposing a patch so quickly!

Package module "abc" does not exist.
ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
ERROR: check "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

For me this looks confusing: The actual error message is not prefixed by "ERROR:". Also (nitpicking) the explanation could by a bit more verbose.
Like this:

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
ERROR: Package module "abc" does not exist.
ERROR: Please check the "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

It would even be better is the fist line would not refer to "procedure
scm-error", but to the config actually processed (and even the line in
there). But nevertheless this patch is a big improvement already.

This new version outputs something like this :

guix system: error: failed to load 'vm-image.tmpl':
vm-image.tmpl:6:0: vm-image.tmpl:6:0: Package module "abc" does not exist.
Check the "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

Previously I tested in in the REPL, hence no filename. This time I
modified vm-image.tmpl to add an "abc" package, and ran
"guix system vm vm-image.tmpl".