guix-devel

Re: The usability of Guix configurations

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: The usability of Guix configurations
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 14:40:45 -0500

On 11/07/2017 at 11:23 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello,
>
> myglc2 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> My system recently broke when I did an upgrade. I reported what I
>> thought was a bug (bug#29072) but it turned out that, because qemu
>> package code had been moved, my system configuration had become broken
>> ;-(
>
> It should be noted that you were using a “developer setup”, specifically
> running Guix from a checkout with ./pre-inst-env and all.
>
> The issue with the stale module wouldn’t happen with “guix pull”, which
> is the recommended “user setup.”
>
> While I agree the situation is not ideal, I think we have to admit that
> developers can always shoot themselves in the foot, and that was one way
> of doing it.  ;-)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

I think I misinterpreted this earlier as dismissing the usability
points.  Now I think you are referring to the bug specifically, and from
that point of view I agree. I have closed the bug as notabug.

I posted thoughts/questions re use of "developer setup" by users and
'make clean-go' here ...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-11/msg00080.html

Best - George