guix-devel

RE: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path

From: Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)
Subject: RE: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:59:16 +0000

> It wouldn’t really help in that mescc+/guilecc is just as capable as the
> earlier mescc, no?
There is however a real difference in terms of performance, guile is simply
faster

> Indeed, Guile needs a C compiler.
Technically, it could be built from a lisp compiler

> In general, we need a C compiler early on… unless we have replacements for
> Bash
Rain1 is working on that

> Coreutils, etc. written in Guile or Mes, which would allow us to strip bits
> of the tip of the DAG.
Actually we only need a core subset of coreutils that mescc can compile, which
ironically is a small job should one use openbsd's core as a base

Essentially build from the stage0-seed to mescc, build the essentials only,
then simply add pieces as we need them.

No need to make this any more complex than it already is.