guix-devel

Re: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 18:52:07 +0100

Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB) writes:

>> It wouldn’t really help in that mescc+/guilecc is just as capable as the
>> earlier mescc, no?
> There is however a real difference in terms of performance, guile is simply
> faster

Plus there is another angle on this.  MesCC, the bootstrap C compiler in
Scheme, is not a intended to be used beyond bootstrapping.  A C compiler
on top of Guile however, could be a very interesting project and could
easily target gcc; possibly attempt C++.  I may just be dreaming...

>> Indeed, Guile needs a C compiler.
> Technically, it could be built from a lisp compiler

Hmm, it's my understanding that Guile is pretty heavily tied to
libguile/*.c.  What makes you think that it's possible for Guile to run
without libguile/*.c?

janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com