guix-devel

RE: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path

From: Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)
Subject: RE: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 18:23:02 +0000

> Plus there is another angle on this.  MesCC, the bootstrap C compiler in
> Scheme, is not a intended to be used beyond bootstrapping.
And probably will lose features over time not directly related to the act of
bootstrapping itself

> A C compiler on top of Guile however, could be a very interesting project and
> could easily target gcc; possibly attempt C++.
Well mescc is well on its way to that

> I may just be dreaming...
I hope not

> Hmm, it's my understanding that Guile is pretty heavily tied to libguile/*.c.
>  What makes you think that it's possible for Guile to run
> without libguile/*.c?
https://wingolog.org/archives/2016/01/11/the-half-strap-self-hosting-and-guile

Specifically "The bootstrap C interpreter in libguile loads the Scheme compiler
and builds eval.go from eval.scm"

Thus by simply having a scheme compiler able to compile eval.scm, we can skip
the libguile/*.c Assuming I interpreted that situation correctly