guix-devel

Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 19:43:11 -0500

Hello Guix,

I'd like to propose that we deprecate the practice of simply writing
"Update snapshot" in the summary line of software updates, and instead
consistently write "Update to <version>", as we do for the vast majority
of updates.

This practice seems to have originated with our 'guix-devel' package,
and iirc for a long time that was the sole exception to our usual
convention.  However, recently I've seen this practice gradually
spreading to other packages, e.g. gcl, kodi, xf86-video-intel, cuirass,
guile2.2-ssh, etc.  I've CC'd the few Guix developers who have started
doing this.

In my opinion, the version number is a very useful piece of information
to see for update commits when browsing the commit history.  I regard
the practice of omitting the version number to be a slowly creeping
regression in our otherwise exceptionally good conventions for commit
logs.  I humbly propose that we nip this regression in the bud.

What do you think?

      Mark