guix-devel

Re: Idea: Install script to better support improving contributor-friendl

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Idea: Install script to better support improving contributor-friendliness of projects
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 07:08:16 +0100

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:43:49PM +0300, address@hidden wrote:
> Another question, is Guix ever going to ship NVIDIA OpenGL libraries,
> considering that this is a GNU project? Flatpak for example ships them
> to support NVIDIA GPUs. The project I want to make contributor-friendly
> with help of Guix is a 3D game, so without them Guix is essentially
> useless as a dependency installer for many of the potential
> contributors.

OpenGL is free software though possibly underlying CUDA is not. We
started work on it here:

https://github.com/Brainiarc7/guix-bioinformatics/blob/master/gn/packages/cl.scm

but never got it to work properly.

> I managed to launch SuperTux, by forcing it to use system libraries:
>
> LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib64/libGLX.so.0 \
> /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 /usr/lib64/libXext.so.6 \
> /usr/lib64/libGLdispatch.so.0 /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.1 \
> /usr/lib64/libXau.so.6" supertux2
>
> This probably not possible to reliably automate and certainly is
> segfault-prone though...

Yes, and worse, there is no guarantee that they are the same on a
user's system. What you want is a reproducible setup.

I think packaging your game with OpenCL is possible with GNU Guix. You
can ask people here how they are deploying their software.

Distributing the game is possible too. Even installing user land
directories - using my installer

  https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-relocatable-binary-packages

would be straightforward to accomplish.

Pj.