guix-devel

Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 22:48:24 -0800

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I just run a quick grep to see which files might be interesting.
>
> We use ant-build-system in:
> axoloti.scm *
> bioinformatics.scm *
> compression.scm *
> icu4c.scm
> java.scm *
> libusb.scm *
> music.scm *
> textutlis.scm
> uml.scm *
> version-control.scm *
> web.scm *
> xml.scm
>
> Only the ant-build system uses icedtea among build systems.
>
> Icedtea is explicitly metioned in the ones maked with *, and:
> kodi.scm
> math.scm
> ruby.scm
>
> We have a definition in place where currently icedtea is defined to be
> icedtea-7.
> I guess we could just flip that to icedtea-8, and check what still works.
> That would flip the version in the build system also, as it uses "icedtea".
>
> Should I check which packages are affected in advance, or just go with the
> build and see what does not work?

Another way to check what packages we'll need to try to build is to use
"guix refresh", which uses some features of (guix graph) to display
information about dependent packages.  Here's what we get for icedtea-7:

[0] address@hidden:~/guix
$ ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -l -e '(@ (gnu packages java) icedtea-7)'
Building the following 39 packages would ensure 202 dependent packages are
rebuilt: address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden

So, I think we should probably do the following:

1) Confirm that these packages build before making changes.  If any
fail, fix them first if possible.

2) As you suggested, flip the icedtea variable to point to icedtea-8
instead of icedtea-7.

3) Repeat the builds, and see what fails.  Fix any new breakage.

And of course, we should opportunistically clean up package definitions
as we go.

I'm going to try step (1) tonight on my laptop.  Is there a way to check
their build status on Hydra, I wonder?  I'm planning to just do it in a
simple shell one-liner like the following:

for pkg in $(</tmp/pkgs); do if guix build --keep-failed $pkg; then echo
success: $pkg >> /tmp/log; else echo failure: $pkg >> /tmp/log; fi; done

...but I'm sure there is probably a more elegant way to accomplish the
same task.  Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

> As first step it is not needed to remove #:jdk icedtea-8 references,
> because I think that simply becomes a noop. Am I right here?
> That can be done as the last step before merging, I guess.

I think that's right, but I haven't looked closely yet, and Ricardo may
know more.

--
Chris