guix-devel

Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 22:58:48 -0800

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1) Confirm that these packages build before making changes.  If any
>> fail, fix them first if possible.

>> I'm going to try step (1) tonight on my laptop.  Is there a way to check
>> their build status on Hydra, I wonder?  I'm planning to just do it in a
>> simple shell one-liner like the following:
>>
>> for pkg in $(</tmp/pkgs); do if guix build --keep-failed $pkg; then echo
>> success: $pkg >> /tmp/log; else echo failure: $pkg >> /tmp/log; fi; done

I tried something like this, and GuixSD crashed while it was building
the packages...  Specifically, the following morning, I checked my
computer and found that the screen remained blank, the HDD I/O LED was
constantly on (as if tons of disk access was taking place), and not even
pressing the capslock key would turn on the capslock key LED.  I decided
to let the computer sit for the day, but when I got home 8 hours later,
nothing had changed.  I power cycled my machine, and after it booted, I
found that during the night, my kernel had logged an Oops along with a
BUG in /var/log/messages, but I don't really know why it occurred.

So, I don't know if any of the packages built successfully or not.  I'll
try again tonight, and this time I'll store the results somewhere where
I'll (hopefully) be able to see how far it got before crashing.
Hopefully it won't crash this time...  If you know of an easier way to
check the build status of packages that will be impacted by an icedtea
change, please let me know.

--
Chris