guix-devel

Re: Installing some packages results in "incomplete deployment"

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Installing some packages results in "incomplete deployment"
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 18:51:36 +0100

I agree with that.
It would however mean additional metadata on the packages.
If there is consent, that this is a good idea, we could find out what additional information is needed, and how to integrate that.
It could be done like test, or strip-binaries...
Then if we have the current behaviour as default, then only the packages which should not be installed should be modified...

On December 2, 2017 4:50:04 AM EST, Chris Marusich <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Some Guix packages exist which are not intended to be installed into a
>user's profile.  For example, android-udev-rules's description says:
>
>    _Simply installing this package will not have any effect._ It is
>    meant to be passed to the `udev' service.

I think that for packages which are not meant to be installed into a user profile, guix package -i should refuse to install them, or maybe only install them with a --force flag or similar.

If it doesn't make sense to install a package into my profile it'd be nice if the tools prevented it by default.