guix-devel

Re: ISO image available for testing!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ISO image available for testing!
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 23:34:55 +0100

Hello,

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've attempted to use this to install GuixSD on a Bytemark
> VM. Unfortunately I haven't succeeded yet. I managed to get as far as
> running guix system init, but when I did, it started downloading the
> bootstrap binaries, and then building binutils.
>
> When I run guix system build, or guix build with the --dry-run options,
> it says that it will download, rather than building, but it doesn't.

I’m pretty sure the building-from-source comes from grafts where the
package replacements, for some reason, are not getting built by Hydra.
I thought this had been fixed by
b574cee361bdabf21f5506252b6a183dcfcd028d, but clearly it hasn’t.

I’ll investigate tomorrow.

> I also made a few other notes during the installation process:
>
>  - The documentation mentions ipconfig to get the wired interface up,
>    but it isn't available in the image. I had to run ip link set eth0
>    up.

It mentions “ifconfig” (with an “f”) and that one is present.  Or am I
missing something?

>  - The documentation says that the ssh server needs to be started, but
>    it was running without me starting it.

Indeed.  I’ve pushed a fix as aab322d909c0b4abec132ef7aff31c31a1208841
in the new ‘version-0.14.0’ branch (note that it changes the ABI of (gnu
services ssh)).

Thanks,
Ludo’.