guix-devel

Re: Iso image size

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Iso image size
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:37:44 +0000

Gábor Boskovits transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> I don't know what we are currently doing to get the installer iso image
> sized down, but I caught some discussion yesterday on irc, that the image
> is actually very well compressible, and checking the sizes it really is.
>
> Might that be possible to do something like compressing the root filesystem
> image on the iso image, and decompress it from initrd before mounting?
>
> Or do we already do that?
>
> It might worth consideration, if that makes the image fit onto a CD.

Are there any reasons why we should really consider CDs a target
in 2017-almost-2018?

I threw away around 500 CDs + 100 floppy disks with backup data of the
last 20 years quiet recently (and only kept originals).
All I'm getting here (West Germany) are BluRays and similar opticals.
And I predict that even this will go away in the near future.

So why focus on the artifical size of optical disks, especially a
format that has been considered old by most if not all other distros
above the size of tiny distros?

If this may sound like harsh criticism: I'm only curious.
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys