guix-devel

Re: Guix - installation script

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Guix - installation script
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:31:04 -0500

On 10/02/2017 at 09:15 Pjotr Prins writes:

> A script that would install the binary install package of Guix would
> be very useful. It should unpack the tarball into /gnu/store and
> /var/guix (checking nothing is there), set the keys and (optionally)
> the build users. Ideally we should have:
>
>    wget install.sh
>    sudo sh install.sh
>      - fetchin' guix...
>      - unpacking guix...
>      - installing guix...
>      - fetching keys...
>      - set build users...
>      - running guix pull...
>    guix package -i hello
>    (binary installs...)
>
> They keys of main substitute servers should just work.
>
> I just went through helping someone install Guix remotely and it is
> *too* painful. He is an experienced devop(!) It took hours, mostly
> because he forgot to set the keys correctly (Guix gives no proper
> feedback).
[...]

I don't see how we can recommend Guix with a clear conscience if we
don't automate these tedious steps, at least for a few popular
distributions.

FWIW, the last time I grappled with a binary install (guix-0.9.0 in Mar
2016 on Debian), I found a makefile to be the most handy way to automate
install/uninstall. I'm not posting it because it doesn't work w/ Guix
0.15.0, but happy to provide to anyone interested. - George