guix-devel

people.mozilla.com shutdown - impact and issues.

From: ng0
Subject: people.mozilla.com shutdown - impact and issues.
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:47:58 +0000

Hi all,

I just found out that people.mozilla.com is no more:

> https://github.com/mozilla/charts/issues/39

The homepage
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/Releases/38)
of mozjs-38 states:

> The download url is outdated and SpiderMonkey not RELEASE alone! Get it here
> mozilla-esr38
> You will find it in "Firefox Extended Support Release 38" package on hg
> release

This page leads to:

> https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr38/archive/tip.tar.bz2

Which gives you a 170MiB (!) Download from their hg.

We have 2.5 choices:

1) look into archive.org if they have saved the tarball.
   pro: ?
   contra: rely on archive.org
1.5) Use the tarballs I still had available and published right now here:
     https://d.n0.is/d/v/mozjs/ or https://d.n0.is/dist/vault/mozjs/
     The 2nd link is just a symlink to the first.
     pro: smaller files
     contra: You rely on me, trust me. That's the same with archive.org, we
             trust archive.org not to manipulate the files.
             In addition to this: we do not get further updates on mozjs-38
             (if it's still developed) because they are now in hg and no
             longer released on their own. I can only be a drop-in
             replacement for one version.
2) Use their hg.
   contra: big terrible archive, possible just from HEAD ("tip" is just
           that in hg terms, right? I'm not using hg very often).
   pro: ?!?

Impact of this change:

I noticed that icecat was building from source.

address@hidden:

address@hidden:

address@hidden:
> Building the following 27 packages would ensure 83 dependent packages are
> rebuilt: address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
> address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden

We get mozjs 17 and 24 from their ftp:
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/js/
only 38 is affected.

Other packages?
WOFF is the only package that turns up when I grep for "people.mozilla.com" in
gnu/packages/,
so this must be fixed aswell.

Ideas? Thoughts? Screams of despair?
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys