guix-devel

Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks

From: ng0
Subject: Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:15:52 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Our website currently shows no videos at all.
> >
> > I thought you were mistaken about this, because there definitely was a
> > list of papers and talks (videos and slides) on our website, but now I
> > can't find it.  I guess it may have been lost in the recent website
> > update.  We should restore that section.
>
> It should be here:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/talks/
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/papers/

This doesn't work really well to discover them, like on
a submenu page in the head menu, leading to these pages
or dedicated (non-blog, non-markdown) pages.

> >> Same goes for the videos. We should actively selfhost (or move content
> >> (videos)) to GNU servers) content that is currently located elsewhere.
> >
> > Many (most?) of the videos linked from our old website were on
> > audio-video.gnu.org.
>
> Yes, and that’s really nice.  The only downside is that we’re lacking a
> number of videos of conferences that put them on YouTube, and which we’d
> have to youtube-dl and upload to audio-video.gnu.org (among the recent
> talks: freenode #live, GPCE, RSE, BOB, etc.).

I've done the same for GNUnet recently. They are now all in git, which
is not good for videos but it works. It's a starting point to move up
from. Not all recordings were good to include. Like one recording
includes someone being interrupted in their talk in a rude way and
more or less ending the talk in the middle.
So if we have talks like these in Guix, I really hope we don't, I'd
consider it like a bad outtake in a photo series. You can keep the
picture but you don't have to print it and frame it in a book.

> It would be great if a couple of people could share the duty of Video
> Masters to do that.

I agree.

> Mark, you’re already a member of
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/audio-video>.  ng0, would you like to
> join and give a hand?  Anyone else?

Yes, but keep in mind that I'm still working on reducing the amount of
projects I'm working on. I can contribute to this, but only in small
doses: Uploading videos (or huge binary file collections) works best
while I'm in the university network. It is 20 times faster than what
I have at home.
Also I can start around early january, I need a bigger disk.

Do I need to join this project at savannah, or how does it work?

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys