guix-devel

Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:04:34 -0500

Hi Ludovic,

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Our website currently shows no videos at all.
>>
>> I thought you were mistaken about this, because there definitely was a
>> list of papers and talks (videos and slides) on our website, but now I
>> can't find it.  I guess it may have been lost in the recent website
>> update.  We should restore that section.
>
> It should be here:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/talks/
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/papers/

Ah, I see.  If neither I nor ng0 could easily find them, I guess that
these aren't very discoverable for those looking to learn about Guix
internals.

For now, an easy improvement would be to include links to the above URLs
from our Help page.  However, I also found the old list of talks and
papers to be easier to browse than the new method, and I wonder if it
could be restored.

For example, for those who prefer to see a video, it was easy to see at
a glance on the old site which talks included videos, whereas on the new
site one must apparently click on each individual talk to find out which
ones come with videos.  Ditto for slides.

I agree that blog entries are a great way to announce the availability
of new talks and papers related to Guix.  However, I think it would also
be nice to include a selection of existing papers and talks summarized
on the help page, to make it easy for a learner to find the ones that
best suit them.

I guess one analogy is that ChangeLogs are useful, but they are no
substitute for a manual.  One is best for reference and for learning the
first time, and the other is useful for keeping up-to-date.

>> Many (most?) of the videos linked from our old website were on
>> audio-video.gnu.org.
>
> Yes, and that’s really nice.  The only downside is that we’re lacking a
> number of videos of conferences that put them on YouTube, and which we’d
> have to youtube-dl and upload to audio-video.gnu.org (among the recent
> talks: freenode #live, GPCE, RSE, BOB, etc.).
>
> It would be great if a couple of people could share the duty of Video
> Masters to do that.
>
> Mark, you’re already a member of
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/audio-video>.

Indeed.  Okay, I'll work on trancoding the videos and uploading them to
audio-video.gnu.org.

       Mark