guix-devel

Re: address@hidden: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.]

From: Rutger Helling
Subject: Re: address@hidden: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.]
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 20:52:12 +0100

Hi Leo,

You can find the new features at:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES

There are two reasons for me personally why I wanted to update:
1. The mpv developers only support the latest release.
2. The initial Vulkan support, which I've got working (x86_64 only for
now). I can't merge it yet until core-updates is merged though.

I agree having three ffmpeg versions is undesirable. However, looking
at the release notes ("This release needs recent FFmpeg (newer than
3.4) due to major refactoring.") this is hopefully a one-time thing.

When stable ffmpeg is updated we can get rid of the -git version. mpv is
the only one using the -git version and it's been very solid for me, so
I don't foresee problems there. Replacing address@hidden entirely with
this -git version seems too extreme a solution to me.

Hopefully that explains my rationale a bit!