guix-devel

Re: Install doc (binary installation)

From: Fis Trivial
Subject: Re: Install doc (binary installation)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 10:59:39 +0000

On 12/28/2017 01:16 AM, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> I just went through
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
>
> And it works well enough.
>
> Two minor niggles:
>
> 1. Can we inline section 4 on creating users and build group? I think
>    people easily miss this step now, creating problems a bit later.
>
> 2. Add 'guix pull' step. I am no fan of the latter, but doing a 'guix
>    package -i guix' installs an older version which we may want to
>    avoid.
>
> Otherwise it is nice as ever. HNY.
>
> Pj.

I am afraid that the installation steps described in the doc is still far from
complete.
There are many per-system configuration that might affect the installation of
Guix.
For examples:

    Default sudo file on Fedora preserves the USERNAME env which will lead Guix
link login user's profile even if Guix running as root (via sudo).
    Guix is not welcomed by SeLinux, on enabled system, you need to configure or
disable SeLinux in order to run the guix-daemon properly. Configuring SeLinux
takes patient while disabling it takes guts.

I have written a script for basic installation but didn't share it with anyone
due to
the fact that things can vary in a quite dramatic way and I simply don't have
enough
knowledge to cover them.