guix-devel

Re: GNOME on Wayland current status

From: ng0
Subject: Re: GNOME on Wayland current status
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:38:58 +0000

Mark H Weaver transcribed 2.4K bytes:
> Hi Rutger,
>
> Rutger Helling <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've sent in a patch (#29943) that adds a small paragraph to the
> > documentation about the current situation.
> >
> > I believe there was a plan to replace SLiM with GDM for the default
> > login manager. Getting GDM to work properly should probably be the
> > first step since it has great Wayland support. From what I know GDM can
> > default to Wayland and falls back automatically to X11 if for some
> > reason Wayland doesn't work.
> >
> > Alternatively we could switch to SDDM as the default for now, until GDM
> > is ready.

What about lightdm? Does it not offer wayland support?
We have no service for it yet, but as far as I understand the greeters
(like 'lightdm-gtk-greeter') writing your own theme is relatively standardized.

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys