guix-devel

Re: workflow

From: ng0
Subject: Re: workflow
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:12:13 +0000

Catonano transcribed 4.7K bytes:

> > I am trying to use git worktree, as suggested
> >
> > I'm tying to update python-magic from 0.4.3 to 0.4.15 in a worktree based
> > branch
> >
> > The new version builds fine
> >
> > But in preparing the commit, I find a lot of files that I didn't touch to
> > be changed
> >
> > $ git status
> > Sul branch update-tryton
> > Changes not staged for commit:
> >   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> >   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> >
> >     modified:   gnu/packages/python.scm
> >     modified:   po/guix/cs.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/da.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/de.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/eo.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/fr.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/hu.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/pl.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/sr.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/vi.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/zh_CN.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/da.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/de.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/eo.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/fr.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/hu.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/pl.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/sr.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/vi.po
> >
> > I only edited the first one, gnu/packages/python.scm
> >
> > I didn't remember this to happen before testing git worktree
> > Right ?
> >
> > What are these po/* files ?
> >

> This is a little bit annoying, as I can't rebase my branch on master in
> order to edit the commit message without dealing with those too (stashing
> or checking them out back to where they were)
>
> Nothing unsurmountable, I was just curious if there's a best practice here

Yeah, it can be confusing at first when someone is not used to .po files.

You can stash those po/* files, it's the first thing I do if I ever
happen to work on a complete new checkout.
They are the translation files, pulled in by the bootstrap/configure process of
Guix.
I would commit your changes to gnu/packages/python.scm and then simply run
git stash

If you'd ever want to get those files back (you don't really need to), you
can take a look at the options of git stash or the general stash workflow.
git stash apply would reapply those changes on top of you current HEAD.
You could also drop the stashed changes, etc.
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys