guix-devel

Re: Meltdown / Spectre

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: Meltdown / Spectre
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:35:37 +0100

On 10.01.2018 12:49, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
I don't know if this serves as guidance as to if microcode is functional
or not, but from [1] I quote:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE

However, there is an exception for secondary embedded processors. The
exception applies to software delivered inside auxiliary and low-level
processors and FPGAs, within which software installation is not intended
after the user obtains the product. This can include, for instance,
microcode inside a processor, firmware built into an I/O device, or the
gate pattern of an FPGA. The software in such secondary processors does
not count as product software.
As an example there is still proprietary formware on the embedded controller of the Thinkpads supported by libreboot.

#+END_QUOTE

My (perhaps uninformed) opinion is that it's functional data, but not
the sort of "functional" that every human would be allowed to modify
after it was first written.

[1] <https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria>.