guix-devel

Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018 anyone?

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018 anyone?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 21:12:19 +0100

Gábor Boskovits transcribed 6.9K bytes:
> I've checked last the list from last year.
>
> It seems to me that the RISCV port might be more important than ever in the
> face of Spectre.

It doesn't really fix that and suffer from it aswell, but a port to it
would be great for the other obvious reasons.

Current implementations seem not to be affected.
Also mitigating problems like this, provided that we have rtl level
open source designs have a much better chance. We have this
for example for Freedom: https://github.com/sifive/freedom.
And yes, porting would be great for other reasons too.

What I currently miss from the field of open hardware the most
is an open source FPGA. This could really close the gap we
are now having, and we could make really fully open hardware.
An open sourced FPGA design would be important not for
manifaturing, but to allow checking it. It is not unheard of
buggy FPGA-s. However,I don't think that this will happen any
time soon.

> The shepherd systemd semantics would be also nice to have.
> I consider the syntax less important.
> It would be also nice to create a service or set of services to make
> administration experience
> similar to a systemd sytem. For example the functionality of journalctl
> would be nice to have.

That is one goal that can be defined 'log view' and discussed.
The rest above is not very clear, lots of guessing.

> Even a howto on configuring guixds to have the equivalent services of
> systemd would
> benefit adoptation, and it could point to functionality missing in our
> system compared to
> systemd.

What I actually is journalctl, and a status display like systemctl status.
It is great that work is in progress in this area, I was not aware of 'log view'.

I think it would also be great if we could give pointers how to replicate:

localectl
networkctl
resolved
systemctl
timedatectl

functions. People coming from a systemd background could have a
document to find the appropriate sections in our manuals.

I don't think we need everything systemd has, or do we?
What are you personally or work related missing, besides the obvious amount of services?

I myself was missing an easy, less scheme focused way to create operating
systems, so I'm working on that. To get to why I mention this: I thought it
was too obvious, but most of the time the things that are too obvious
are not being worked on because they are too obvious.

I would very much like to have an build log reader+browser as mentioned here
in the past. Today I've pointed someone to /var/log/guix/drvs/ and just gave
the note to use `find -name '*thingtosearchfor*'` and copy it to $home,
extract and view it.

--
ng0 :: https://ea.n0.is
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 :: https://ea.n0.is/keys/